- Alumni Relations
- Upper School
As Dr. Wright reminded us yesterday, graduation is almost here. In just a few weeks, you will officially be the parent of a Bear Creek alumus or alumnae (or both!). Then the next journey begins with its own joys, excitement, anticipation, and fears.
It was great to see many of you at the Advice for the College Launch gathering last week. For those that couldn’t make it, I’ve tried to provide much of the information here. Some of the great advice that was shared includes:
- Don’t overbuy for the dorm room (see College Packing List).
- Empower your child to work through problems by encouraging him or her to use the resources on campus. Often when he or she calls, stressed or in crisis, what he or she really wants is for you just to listen.
- Discuss realistic expectations about communication with your child.
- Travel home at Thanksgiving? Depends on length of break, distance from home, and child.
- Your child must grant permission for you to have access to any records. This includes his or her college financial account, class schedule, grades, and health information (see College-Age Child and Medical Emergencies).
- During graduation week remember to focus on your child. Don’t get so busy playing host to the guests that you ignore your child and forget that this week is about your senior!
Bear Creek Parents of Alumni have their own closed group Facebook page. If would like to join, let me know, and I will send you an invitation. On this page, we share happenings at the school, parents of alumni events, alumni updates, etc. It is a great place to ask any specific questions you have about sending your child to college and benefit from the collected wisdom of many other parents who have already walked this journey.
As you focus on getting you and your child through graduation and then ready for college or his or her next adventure, don’t forget to make time for yourself. One way to do that is to plan now to join us on September 27 for our annual Parents of Alumni wine tasting event. This fun social evening will give you a chance to stay connected with other families of Bear Creek alumni. Mark your calendar now; details will be sent to you in August.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I hope you enjoy the remainder of the school year, and that your child's launch into college and beyond goes smoothly for your family.
Mom of Joshua ’17 and Benjamin ’15