- Academic Planning
- Upper School
Selecting Grade 10 Courses
As an incoming sophomore, automatically scheduled classes include:
- Christian studies, and
Students will need to select:
- a math course (Select the next course in the following sequence: Algebra 2, Precalculus or Honors Precalculus, Calculus, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC. AP Statistics is also an option.);
- a science course (The recommended course for sophomores is either Chemistry or Honors Chemistry.);
- a history course (Honors European History or AP European History);
- a language course (next in sequence); and
- three ranked electives (Y=year-long course, S=semester course). In Upper School, students typically are enrolled in two semester-length electives each year. Selecting one additional elective gives the Registrar flexibility in case the student cannot get into his or her first choices.
Also, please use these resources to inform your choices (posted on MyBC/Students > Academic Advising tab):
- Upper School Course Catalog (see Course Planning Grid near the end),
- Sophomore year course selection presentation, and
- Short videos by AP teachers describing their courses. Due to the high workload of AP courses, we do not recommend that students select more than two AP courses each year.
Review With Parent
Parents, please work together with your child as he/she makes these choices. On the Parent Portal (accessible via the "My Parent Portal" button on the MyBC/Parents page), you may review your child's requests using the "Course Requests" link found on the Links tab to the right of your child's picture.
Request Grade 10 Courses on Student Portal
Beginning March 1, rising sophomores may enter course preferences via the online Student Portal. First log in on MyBC/Students, then click the "My Student Portal" button. The Student Portal will open on a new tab. Now select the Course Requests button at the top right of the portal page.
English, Christian studies, and Logic classes have already been scheduled (look for them listed at the top of the page).
As students determine which math, science, history, language, and elective classes they would like to take:
- Use the green "+" (add) button on the left of the course name to indicate a selection. Ignore course options that are not relevant to you.
- After adding a class, it will appear at the top of the page and at that point, students may make notes, as well as use the drop-down menus to indicate "Priority" and which semester ("Term") they would like to take the class (electives only).
- On all course selections, please ignore the "Level" drop-down menu. On core subject area selections, please ignore the "Priority" and "Term" drop-down menus.
- Click 'delete' to remove any accidentally added classes.
- There is no need to save or submit your selections (once chosen, your selections are automatically saved); you may continue to make changes to your preferences until March 9.
Please keep in mind that, though we do our best to honor student preferences, classes are not guaranteed.
Please complete course preference selections by Tuesday, March 9. Please contact Registrar James Woollard at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.