- Academic Planning
- Middle School
Selecting Middle School Courses
All core academic courses for students entering grades 7 and 8 are automatically scheduled:
- math (next sequential course),
- Christian studies, and
- physical education.
Students will need to select:
- five ranked electives (each student will be enrolled in one or two electives each semester, depending on when he/she is enrolled in physical education, for a total of three electives each year; selecting two additional electives gives the Registrar flexibility in case the student cannot get into his or her first choices).
Use Middle School Course Catalog to inform your child's choices.
Review With Parent
Parents, please work together with your child as he/she makes these choices. On the Parent Portal (accessible via the "My Parent Portal" button on the MyBC/Parents page), you may review your child's requests using the "Course Requests" link found on the Links tab to the right of your child's picture.
Request Elective Courses on Student Portal
Beginning February 25, rising grades 7 and 8 students may enter elective course preferences via the online Student Portal. First log in on MyBC/Students*, then click the "My Student Portal" button. The Student Portal will open on a new tab. Now select the Course Requests button at the top right of the portal page. * If you are unable to log in on the portal, see Mrs. McDonough presentation on preparing for grades 7 and 8.
Math, English, science, history, Latin, Christian studies, and P.E. have already been scheduled (look for them listed at the top of the page).
As students determine which elective classes they would like to take:
- Use the green "+" (add) button on the left of the course name to indicate a selection.
- After adding a class, it will appear at the top of the page and, at that point, your child should indicate "Priority"* using the drop-down menu. In addition, your son or daughter may make notes, and indicate which semester ("Term") he/she would like to take the class.
- Three elective choices should be designated First Priority. Two electives choices should be designated Second Priority. * It is very important that your child selects five elective classes total and prioritizes them accordingly.
- At least one of the First Priority selections must be a Fine Arts elective (Art, Band, Choir, Drama, or Musical Theater).
- We encourage students who select Band to sign up for the whole year. In this case, your child should select it twice to indicate he/she will be taking Band both semesters. Students should choose all other electives just once.
- We encourage students who sign up for Choir (fall) to also sign up for Musical Theater (spring).
- For Study Hall only, students may request fall or spring semester by making a note in the Notes field. Students wishing to enroll in Study Hall during both semesters require Division Head approval.
- Ignore the Level, Recommended, and Approved fields.
- Click 'delete' to remove any accidentally added classes.
- There is no need to save your selections as you make them; you may continue to make changes to your preferences until March 3.
Please keep in mind that, though we do our best to honor student preferences, classes are not guaranteed.
Please complete course preference selections by Tuesday, March 3. Please contact Registrar James Woollard at email@example.com or 425-898-1720 ext. 537 with any questions.