Our health team is committed to the health and wellness of our students. Our mission at The Bear Creek School is to promote student health and wellness in a safe, supportive, and faith-centered environment that will enable each student to become the individual that God intends.
Bear Creek's team of registered nurses provides professional nursing care to students and the school community. The school nurse’s role includes:
- Promoting health and safety
- Assessing student health status and initiating referrals
- Delivering emergency care
- Administering medications
- Identifying vision and hearing problems that impact learning
- Disaster preparedness
- Performing educational training for school employees
- Providing health and wellness programs
- Creating individual health care plans for students with health care needs
- Collaborating with families, communities, and school employees
There are dedicated health rooms in each location including two at Redmond Campus in the Main building and Upper School, plus one at Valley Campus. A school nurse is assigned full-time at Redmond Campus and part-time with on-call availability at Valley Campus.
Please contact Health Services Manager Lea Hysom, RN, BSN at email@example.com or 425-898-1720 ext. 399 with any questions you may have.
Health, Wellness, and Safety Policies
See section 4 of the Family Handbook (log in my MyBC/Parents) for all our school health, wellness, and safety policies. All student health information and related authorizations and forms should be submitted and uploaded to the health portal.
The Bear Creek School is required by State law to ensure all students are compliant with current immunization requirements (preschool or K – 12) or have an appropriate exemption. To attend class in the fall, all new students and all returning kindergarten and grade 7 students must upload medically-verified immunization records to the health portal by the summer deadline. Instructions for submitting immunization records will be emailed in July.
To help the school and our families meet this requirement, The Bear Creek School uses the School Module, an online system provided by the Washington State Department of Health, to manage student immunization records.
The School Module allows Bear Creek to quickly and efficiently check if your child has the vaccines required for school. This will save the health team time entering vaccination dates and free up time to work with students. Most children born and/or vaccinated in Washington already have their information in the system. You can access your child’s record at any time by signing up for MyIR at wa.MyIR.net.
- (Recommended) Print and sign your child's Certificate of Immunization Status directly from wa.MyIR.net
- Or both you and your child's health care provider must sign the completed Certificate of Immunization Status
- Or complete and sign the Certificate of Immunization Status and submit along with a copy of your child's medical records
If your child is on a delayed schedule, also have your child's health care provider complete and sign the Certificate of Exemption. See Health Services for more information or contact Lea Hysom, school nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your child's immunization records.