Thirteen Upper School students and 22 works of art and writing were recognized in the 2017 Washington State Scholastic Art & Writing Awards. The Scholastic Art & Writing Awards have an impressive legacy dating back to 1923 and a noteworthy roster of past winners including Andy Warhol, Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Richard Avedon, Robert Redford, and Joyce Carol Oates. This year Bear Creek students were recognized with three Gold Key, six Silver Keys, and 13 Honorable Mentions.
An awards reception will be held Sunday, February 19 at Cornish College of the Arts (first floor, main campus, 1000 Lenora Street, Seattle) from 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. An exhibition featuring award winning art was on display this week. Gold Key winners advance to compete for Gold Medal and Silver Medal awards at the national level. National medalists will be announced in March.
In the Washington State Art Region contest, approximately 25% of all submissions are recognized with Gold Key, Silver Key, or Honorable Mention.
- Tendencies (Poetry) by Brooke Kato, senior
- [Fill in the Blank] (Poetry) by Adesuwa Agbonile, senior
- "The Trail Builder" (Short Story) by Adesuwa Agbonile
- "To the Sky" (Painting) by Catherine Kok, senior
- "Greek Bust" (Drawing and Illustration) by Michelle Tan, sophomore
- "Bright and Merry" (Drawing and Illustration) by Angela Tzen. senior
- "Pallas Athena" (Drawing and Illustration) by Alysa Vermeulen, junior
- "Impossible Possibility" (Painting) by Soohyun Yoon, senior
- "Kilimanjaro" (Short Story) by Adesuwa Agbonile
- "Memory" (Drawing and Illustration) by Diana Beare, senior
- "Twix" (Painting) by Kim Do, sophomore
- "Beyond the Broken Fence" (Painting), "Chasing the Birds "(Painting), and "Peacock" (Painting) by Catherine Kok
- "Napoleon" (Drawing and Illustration) by Justin Li, senior
- "Priest" (Drawing and Illustration) by Michelle Tan
- "Nemean Lion Catcher" (Drawing and Illustration) by Angela Tzen
- "Price of Vanity" (Drawing and Illustration) by Maya Vides, junior
- "Game On" (Drawing and Illustration) by Derian Williams, junior
- "Whale in the Sky" (Painting) and "The General" (Drawing and Illustration) by Soohyun Yoon
- The Hurt This Year (Poetry) by Brooke Kato
- "I Live at the End of My Street" (Flash Fiction) by Adesuwa Agbonile
The students' winning contest submissions are shown below.