Congratulations to all the Bear Creek musicians who prepared for and competed at the Northlake Music Region Solo and Ensemble Festival held on February 11, 2017 at Lake Washington High School. Two soloists from Bear Creek will represent the Northlake league at the WIAA/WMEA State Solo and Ensemble Contest on April 29 at Central Washington University in Ellensburg.
- Senior Tolu Sobande sang in three categories. She performed "Bessie Bobtail" by Samuel Barber, receiving a "I", and winning the Alto category. She will represent Bear Creek at the State Contest in April! She also sang "Gretchen am Spinnrade" by Franz Shubert in the Soprano category and received a "I". In the Mezzo Soprano category, she performed "The Black Swan" by Menotti and received a "II+".
- Sophomore Sandy Shao performed piece by Rossini and received a "I" in the Clarinet category and will represent Bear Creek at the State Contest in April!
- Sophomore Daniel Yoo performed "Rococo Variations" by Tchaikovsky in the Cello category, receiving a "I" rating. He is second alternate to State.
- Junior Ian Sherrer received a "II" for his performance in the Tenor category.
- Junior Julia Maher performed "Allegro" by Goddard and received a "I" rating in the Flute-Piccolo category.
- Senior Miriam Rundell received a "II" in the Violin category and in the Piano category she performed "Etude in E# Minor" by Chopin and received a "II" rating.
- Freshman Rita Luk, performed "Remembrances" by John Williams on the Violin and received a "I" rating. She also performed "Sonata in C" by Mozart in the Piano category and received a "II" rating.
At the Northlake Festival, hundreds of students compete from Lake Washington and Northshore school districts, plus private schools in the area. Students perform as ensembles small (2-4), large (5-16), and/or as soloists with accompaniment competing in front of professional jurors. Musicians are assigned a time to perform (~10mins/entry); adjudicators watch and listen, then give comments plus rate each performance as I Superior, II Excellent, or III Good. Overall rankings are made and top performers are selected to compete at State from these catagories: strings, piano/guitar/harp, percussion, woodwinds, brass, and vocalists including men, women, and mixed ensembles plus soloists.