New Upper School Students
This page contains information for new students in grades 9 – 12 and their parents.
This video introduces all the topics we normally present at parent orientation events, including lots of details about our program, school uniforms, schedules, House, and much more. You may also reference the presentation slides and recording of our Q&A session held May 5. Additional information provided is below.
Preparing for a New School
Instructions for completing these requirements by uploading your child's immunization records to the health portal will be included with Back-to-School Registration (see below).
The Bear Creek School is required by State law to ensure all students are compliant with current immunization requirements (preschool or K – 12) or have an appropriate exemption. All new students and all returning kindergarten and grade 7 students must upload medically-verified immunization records to the health portal prior to the first day of school.
To help the school and our families meet this requirement, The Bear Creek School is changing how we manage student immunization records. We are now using the School Module, an online system provided by the Washington State Department of Health.
The School Module allows Bear Creek to quickly and efficiently check if your child has the vaccines required for school. This will save the health team time entering vaccination dates and free up time to work with students. Most children born and/or vaccinated in Washington already have their information in the system. You can access your child’s record at any time by signing up for MyIR at wa.MyIR.net.
- (Recommended) Print and sign your child's Certificate of Immunization Status directly from wa.MyIR.net
- Or both you and your child's health care provider must sign the completed Certificate of Immunization Status
- Or complete and sign the Certificate of Immunization Status and submit along with a copy of your child's medical records
If your child is on a delayed schedule, also have your child's health care provider complete and sign the Certificate of Exemption. See Health Services for more information or contact Lea Hysom, school nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your child's immunization records.
Sign up for a parent/child academic advising appointment with Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt (email@example.com). She will provide course selection advice and help you complete the Upper School New Student Course Preferences form. Note: Meetings will be conducted remotely while our buildings are closed.
When the preference form is complete, take a photo of it with your phone and email it to Registrar James Woollard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Upper School students are placed in the next in sequence math course based on report cards/transcripts and information provided during the student interview. Placement tests are given on a case by case basis only if necessary. If the math curriculum at the prior school does not match the curriculum at Bear Creek, or if there are questions about his/her preparation, students may request or be asked to take a math placement exam to ensure that he/she is placed in the proper course to ensure his/her success.
Please contact Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt (email@example.com) for questions about math placement or to schedule a math placement exam. After math placement has been determined, students should complete the appropriate summer assignment (posted June 1).
Information about uniform guidelines, dress days, and online ordering can be found on the School Uniforms page.
Be on the lookout in mid-July for an email about your child's Back-to-School Registration which must be complete before your child may attend school.
Bear Creek provides most materials for our students; however, there are some school supplies that parents must purchase for their children.
Upper School fall sports include boys and girls cross country, boys golf, girls soccer, boys tennis, and girls volleyball. Sports registration is postponed. In the meantime, please schedule your child's sports physical as early as feasible.
If your child is interested in participating in sports at Bear Creek (regardless of season), please feel free to contact our Athletic Director Chad Pohlman at firstname.lastname@example.org so he can get you connected to the head coach. Many of our sports teams have summer programming, strength and conditioning, open gyms/fields, as well as camps and clinics in which we encourage your child to participate.
Academic Teams and Clubs
Bear Creek offers math and forensics (speech and debate) opportunities to Upper School students. Registration is postponed.
Drop-off and Pick-up
Review our campus maps to familiarize yourself with the morning and afternoon routines.
Mark Your Calendar
At the top of every webpage, you'll see the link to the School Calendar which can be filtered according to your child's division (or check out the special Upper School Calendar). Parents and students may subscribe to the various sub-calendar feeds and/or subscribe to email/text alerts for specific events or calendars.
Inside Bear Creek
As part of your orientation to Bear Creek, please plan to join Patrick Carruth, President and Headmaster, and Debbie Marchione, Vice President of Philanthropy and Community Engagement, at Inside Bear Creek in the fall. This gathering will provide you with important practical information about how to get involved in the Bear Creek community as a parent, an understanding of how the school functions beyond the classrooms, and an opportunity to connect with other new families. Look for an email in early September with more details.
Preschool (P3 – P5)
- Division Head Rachel Urban, email@example.com, 425-885-9401 ext. 402
- Division Assistant Minette Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lower School (grades K – 4)
- Division Head Kristen Gephart, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 115
- Dean of Students Tressa Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 122
- Division Assistant Cady Reimer, email@example.com. 425-898-1720 ext. 116
Early Middle School (grades 5 – 6)
Middle School (grades 7 – 8)
- Division Head Jenn McDonough, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 229
- Dean of Students Nathan Pettit, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 209
- Division Assistant Carol Willard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 215
Upper School (grades 9 – 12)
- Division Head Carol Miller, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 539
- Dean of Students Kevin Davison, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 735
- Division Assistant Debbie Stump, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 532
Tuition and Fees
- Business Operations Manager Kathleen Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 302
Giving or Volunteering
- Vice President for Philanthropy and Community Engagement Debbie Marchione, email@example.com, 425-898-1720, ext. 338
- Health Services Manager and School Nurse Lea Hysom, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 399
- Communications Manager Sini Fernandez, email@example.com
- Athletics Director Chad Pohlman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 431 (grades 9 – 12 sports)
- Middle School Athletics Director Ryan Byram, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 430 (grades 6 – 8 sports)
College and Academic Advising
- Dean of College and Academic Advising Colleen Murray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 533 (grades 11 – 12)
- Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 535 (grades 9 – 10)
- Registrar James Woollard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 537
- Director of Admissions Christie Hazeltine, email@example.com
Also check out the online directory of faculty and staff.