New Upper School Students
This page contains information for new students in grades 9 – 12 and their parents.
Please watch this video which introduces all the topics we normally present to parents in person each spring, including lots of details about our program, upcoming events, school uniforms, schedules, House, and much more.
Preparing for a New School
Save the date! We are tentatively planning to host simultaneous new parent and student orientation meetings on Monday, August 24 from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. in the Upper School.
Surface Pro Pick-Up
Students must complete online training prior to picking up their Microsoft Surface Pro devices on Friday, August 21. Stay tuned for more information later this summer.
All immunization records must be uploaded to our new health portal. Instructions will be included with Back-to-School Registration which is emailed in mid-July.
The Bear Creek School is required by State law to ensure all students are compliant with current immunization requirements (preschool or K – 12) or have an appropriate exemption. All new students (and all returning kindergarten and grade 7 students) must have medically-verified immunization records on file prior to the first day of school.
- (Recommended) Print and sign your child's Certificate of Immunization Status directly from wa.MyIR.net,
- Or both you and your child's health care provider must sign the completed Certificate of Immunization Status,
- Or complete and sign the Certificate of Immunization Status and submit to school with your child's medical records attached.
If your child is on a delayed schedule, also have your child's health care provider complete and sign the Certificate of Exemption.See Health Services for more information or contact Lea Hysom, school nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your child's immunization records.
Sign up for a parent/child academic advising appointment with Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt (email@example.com). She will provide course selection advice and help you complete the Upper School New Student Course Preferences form. Note: Meetings will be conducted remotely while our buildings are closed.
When the preference form is complete, take a photo of it with your phone and email it to Registrar James Woollard at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New Upper School students are placed in the next in sequence math course based on report cards/transcripts and information provided during the student interview. Placement tests are given on a case by case basis only if necessary. If the math curriculum at the prior school does not match the curriculum at Bear Creek, or if there are questions about his/her preparation, students may request or be asked to take a math placement exam to ensure that he/she is placed in the proper course to ensure his/her success.
Please contact Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt (email@example.com) for questions about math placement or to schedule a math placement exam. After math placement has been determined, students should complete the appropriate summer assignment (posted June 1).
Information about uniform guidelines, dress days, and online ordering can be found on the School Uniforms page.
Be on the lookout in mid-July for an email about your child's Back-to-School Registration which is due in early August.
Bear Creek provides most materials for our students; however, there are some school supplies that parents must purchase for their children.
Upper School fall sports include boys and girls cross country, boys golf, girls soccer, boys tennis, and girls volleyball. Sports registration opens in July when new parents have their website credentials. In the meantime, please schedule your child's sports physical as early as feasible.
If your child is interested in participating in sports at Bear Creek (regardless of season), please feel free to contact our Athletic Director Chad Pohlman at firstname.lastname@example.org so he can get you connected to the head coach. Many of our sports teams have summer programming, strength and conditioning, open gyms/fields, as well as camps and clinics in which we encourage your child to participate.
Academic Teams and Clubs
Bear Creek offers math and forensics (speech and debate) opportunities to Upper School students. Registration opens later this summer.
Drop-off and Pick-up
Review our campus maps to familiarize yourself with the morning and afternoon routines.
Mark Your Calendar
At the top of every webpage, you'll see the link to the School Calendar which can be filtered according to your child's division (or check out the special Upper School Calendar). Parents and students may subscribe to the various sub-calendar feeds and/or subscribe to email/text alerts for specific events or calendars.
Inside Bear Creek
As part of your orientation to Bear Creek, please plan to join Patrick Carruth, President and Headmaster, and Debbie Marchione, Vice President of Philanthropy and Community Engagement, at Inside Bear Creek in the fall. This gathering will provide you with important practical information about how to get involved in the Bear Creek community as a parent, an understanding of how the school functions beyond the classrooms, and an opportunity to connect with other new families. Look for an email in early September with more details.
Bear Creek faculty and staff are working off campus through August 3. Please email if you need to get in touch. Thank you!
Preschool (P3 – P5)
- Division Head Rachel Urban, email@example.com, 425-885-9401 ext. 402
- Division Assistant Amanda Smith, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lower School (grades K – 4)
- Division Head Kristen Gephart, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 115
- Dean of Students Tressa Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 122
- Division Assistant Cady Reimer, email@example.com. 425-898-1720 ext. 116
Early Middle School (grades 5 – 6)
Middle School (grades 7 – 8)
- Division Head Jenn McDonough, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 229
- Dean of Students Nathan Pettit, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 209
- Division Assistant Carol Willard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 215
Upper School (grades 9 – 12)
- Division Head Carol Miller, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 539
- Dean of Students Kevin Davison, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 735
- Division Assistant Debbie Stump, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 532
- Business Operations Manager Kathleen Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 302
Giving or Volunteering
- Vice President for Philanthropy and Community Engagement Debbie Marchione, email@example.com, 425-898-1720, ext. 338
- Health Services Manager Lea Hysom, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 399
- Communications Manager Sini Fernandez, email@example.com
- Athletics Director Chad Pohlman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 431 (grades 9 –12 sports)
- Middle School Athletics Director Ryan Byram, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 430 (grades 6 – 8 sports)
College and Academic Advising
- Dean of College and Academic Advising Colleen Murray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 533 (grades 11 – 12)
- Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 535 (grades 9 – 10)
- Registrar James Woollard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 537
- Director of Admissions Christie Hazeltine, email@example.com
Also check out the online directory of faculty and staff.