This page contains information for new students in grades 9 – 12 and their parents.
Parents who missed the spring orientation may watch a recording of the presentation.
Also, plan to attend an orientation event for parents of Upper School students on August 20. Join Division Head Carol Miller and Dean of Students Kevin Davison to learn the nuts and bolts of Upper School.
Friday, August 20
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Bookmark this page so you can follow up on all the information provided below.
Preparing for a New School
Students are not enrolled in courses until the New Student Course Preferences form has been received. Since some classes fill up quickly, please take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Review the Upper School Course Catalog.
- Book an academic advising appointment with Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt (email@example.com).
- Complete the New Student Course Preferences form online. Also see Math Placement below.
If you have questions regarding courses, please contact James Woollard, Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Instructions for completing these requirements by uploading your child's immunization records to the health portal will be included with Back-to-School Registration (see below). Please do not email immunization records to the school.
The Bear Creek School is required by State law to ensure all students are compliant with current immunization requirements (preschool or K – 12) or have an appropriate exemption. To attend class in the fall, all new students and all returning kindergarten and grade 7 students must upload medically-verified immunization records to the health portal by the summer deadline. Instructions for submitting immunization records will be emailed in July.
A medically-verified Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) form is a:
- CIS printed by a health care provider from the Washington State Immunization Information System. This is medically verified by the Immunization Information System.
- CIS printed from MyIR which is a free Department of Health online tool that allows families to view and print their official immunization records themselves. This is medically verified by the Immunization Information System. You can access your child’s immunization record at any time by signing up for MyIR at wa.MyIR.net.
- CIS completed by hand.
- Must be verified with a health care provider signature
- Must have medical vaccination records attached so it can be verified for accuracy by school staff
- Must be verified with a health care provider signature
If your child is on a delayed schedule, also have your child's health care provider complete and sign the Certificate of Exemption. See Health Services for more information or contact Lea Hysom, school nurse, at email@example.com if you have any questions about your child's immunization records.
New Upper School students are placed in the next in sequence math course based on report cards/transcripts and information provided during the student interview. Placement tests are given on a case by case basis only if necessary. If the math curriculum at the prior school does not match the curriculum at Bear Creek, or if there are questions about his/her preparation, students may request or be asked to take a math placement exam to ensure that he/she is placed in the proper course to ensure his/her success.
Please contact Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt (firstname.lastname@example.org) for questions about math placement or to schedule a math placement exam. After math placement has been determined, students should complete the appropriate summer assignment.
Information about uniform guidelines, dress days, and online ordering can be found on the School Uniforms page.
Be on the lookout in mid-July for an email about your child's Back-to-School Registration in July which must be complete before your child may attend school.
Bear Creek provides most materials for our students; however, there are some school supplies that parents must purchase for their children.
Upper School fall sports include boys and girls cross country, boys golf, girls soccer, boys tennis, and girls volleyball. Sports registration will open in July. In the meantime, please schedule your child's sports physical as early as feasible.
If your child is interested in participating in sports at Bear Creek (regardless of season), please feel free to contact our Athletic Director Chad Pohlman at email@example.com so he can get you connected to the head coach. Many of our sports teams have summer programming, strength and conditioning, open gyms/fields, as well as camps and clinics in which we encourage your child to participate.
If you missed it, watch the recording of the sports information meeting held May 10.
Academic Teams and Clubs
Bear Creek offers math and forensics (speech and debate) opportunities to Upper School students. Registration is postponed.
Drop-off and Pick-up
Review our campus maps to familiarize yourself with the morning and afternoon routines.
Mark Your Calendar
At the top of every webpage, you'll see the link to the School Calendar which can be filtered according to your child's division (or check out the special Upper School Calendar). Parents and students may subscribe to the various sub-calendar feeds and/or subscribe to email/text alerts for specific events or calendars.
Inside Bear Creek
As part of your orientation to Bear Creek, please plan to join Patrick Carruth, President and Headmaster, and Debbie Marchione, Vice President of Philanthropy and Community Engagement, at Inside Bear Creek in the fall. This gathering will provide you with important practical information about how to get involved in the Bear Creek community as a parent, an understanding of how the school functions beyond the classrooms, and an opportunity to connect with other new families. Look for an email in early September with more details.
Preschool (P3 – P5)
- Division Head Rachel Urban, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-885-9401 ext. 402
- Division Assistant Minette Williams, email@example.com
Lower School (grades K – 4)
- Division Head Kristen Gephart, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 115
- Dean of Students Tressa Parker, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 122
- Division Assistant Cady Reimer, firstname.lastname@example.org. 425-898-1720 ext. 116
Early Middle School (grades 5 – 6)
Middle School (grades 7 – 8)
- Division Head Jenn McDonough, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 229
- Dean of Students Nathan Pettit, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 209
- Division Assistant Carol Willard, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 215
Upper School (grades 9 – 12)
- Division Head Carol Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 539
- Dean of Students Kevin Davison, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 735
- Division Assistant Debbie Stump, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 532
Tuition and Fees
- Business Operations Manager Kathleen Lewis, email@example.com, 425-898-1720, ext. 302
Giving or Volunteering
- Vice President for Philanthropy and Community Engagement Debbie Marchione, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 338
- Health Services Manager and School Nurse Lea Hysom, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 399
- Communications Manager Sini Fernandez, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Athletics Director Chad Pohlman, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 431 (grades 9 – 12 sports)
- Middle School Athletics Director Ryan Byram, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 430 (grades 6 – 8 sports)
College and Academic Advising
- Dean of College and Academic Advising Colleen Murray, email@example.com, 425-898-1720, ext. 533 (grades 11 – 12)
- Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 535 (grades 9 – 10)
- Registrar James Woollard, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 537
- Director of Admissions Christie Hazeltine, firstname.lastname@example.org
Also check out the online directory of faculty and staff.