This page contains information for new students in grades 7 – 8 and their parents.
Parents who missed the spring orientation may watch a recording of the presentation.
Also, plan to attend an orientation event for parents of Middle School students on August 26. Join Division Head Jenn McDonough and Dean of Students Nathan Pettit to learn the nuts and bolts of Middle School.
Thursday, August 26
10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Bookmark this page so you can follow up on all the information provided below.
Preparing for a New School
Instructions for completing these requirements by uploading your child's immunization records to the health portal will be included with Back-to-School Registration (see below). Please do not email immunization records to the school.
The Bear Creek School is required by State law to ensure all students are compliant with current immunization requirements (preschool or K – 12) or have an appropriate exemption. To attend class in the fall, all new students and all returning kindergarten and grade 7 students must upload medically-verified immunization records to the health portal by the summer deadline. Instructions for submitting immunization records will be emailed in July.
A medically-verified Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) form is a:
- CIS printed by a health care provider from the Washington State Immunization Information System. This is medically verified by the Immunization Information System.
- CIS printed from MyIR which is a free Department of Health online tool that allows families to view and print their official immunization records themselves. This is medically verified by the Immunization Information System. You can access your child’s immunization record at any time by signing up for MyIR at wa.MyIR.net.
- CIS completed by hand.
- Must be verified with a health care provider signature
- Must have medical vaccination records attached so it can be verified for accuracy by school staff
- Must be verified with a health care provider signature
If your child is on a delayed schedule, also have your child's health care provider complete and sign the Certificate of Exemption. See Health Services for more information or contact Lea Hysom, school nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your child's immunization records.
The Bear Creek School is committed to placing each student in the “best fit” class for math instruction. Math placement consideration for next year will be based on your child’s current math level—for most students, this means they will advance in math one year.
If you believe your child may place higher in this progression (see Course Catalog), please contact Middle School Division Assistant Carol Willard at 425-898-1720 ext. 215 or email@example.com to discuss possible options.
After math placement has been determined, students should complete the appropriate summer assignment.
Elective Course Preferences
Students are not enrolled in elective courses until the New Student Course Preferences form has been received. Since some classes fill up quickly, please take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Review the Middle School Course Catalog with your child.
- Complete the New Student Course Preferences form online. Also see Math Placement above.
If you have questions regarding courses, please contact James Woollard, Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information about uniform guidelines, dress days, and online ordering can be found on the School Uniforms page.
Be on the lookout for an email about your child's Back-to-School Registration in July which must be complete before your child may start school.
Bear Creek provides most materials for our students; however, there are some school supplies that parents must purchase for their children.
Students in grades 6 – 8 are eligible to participate in Middle School fall sports which include boys and girls cross country, boys soccer, girls soccer, and girls volleyball. Sports registration will open in July. Look for more information with Back-to-School Registration. In the meantime, please schedule your child's sports physical as early as feasible.
If you missed it, watch the recording of the sports information meeting held May 10.
Academic Teams and Clubs
Bear Creek offers math and forensics (speech and debate) opportunities to students in grades 7 and 8.
Drop-off and Pick-up
Review our campus maps to familiarize yourself with the morning and afternoon routines (subject to change).
Mark Your Calendar
At the top of every webpage, you'll see the link to the School Calendar which can be filtered according to your child's division (or check out the special Middle School Calendar). Parents may subscribe to the various sub-calendar feeds and/or subscribe to email/text alerts for specific events or calendars.
Inside Bear Creek
As part of your orientation to Bear Creek, please plan to join Patrick Carruth, President and Headmaster, and Debbie Marchione, Vice President of Philanthropy and Community Engagement, at Inside Bear Creek in the fall. This gathering will provide you with important practical information about how to get involved in the Bear Creek community as a parent, an understanding of how the school functions beyond the classrooms, and an opportunity to connect with other new families. Look for an email in early September with more details.
Preschool (P3 – P5)
- Division Head Rachel Urban, email@example.com, 425-885-9401 ext. 402
- Division Assistant Minette Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lower School (grades K – 4)
- Division Head Kristen Gephart, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 115
- Dean of Students Tressa Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 122
- Division Assistant Cady Reimer, email@example.com. 425-898-1720 ext. 116
Early Middle School (grades 5 – 6)
Middle School (grades 7 – 8)
- Division Head Jenn McDonough, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 229
- Dean of Students Nathan Pettit, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 209
- Division Assistant Carol Willard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 215
Upper School (grades 9 – 12)
- Division Head Carol Miller, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 539
- Dean of Students Kevin Davison, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 735
- Division Assistant Debbie Stump, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 532
Tuition and Fees
- Business Operations Manager Kathleen Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 302
Giving or Volunteering
- Vice President for Philanthropy and Community Engagement Debbie Marchione, email@example.com, 425-898-1720, ext. 338
- Health Services Manager and School Nurse Lea Hysom, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 399
- Communications Manager Sini Fernandez, email@example.com
- Athletics Director Chad Pohlman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 431 (grades 9 – 12 sports)
- Middle School Athletics Director Ryan Byram, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 430 (grades 6 – 8 sports)
College and Academic Advising
- Dean of College and Academic Advising Colleen Murray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 533 (grades 11 – 12)
- Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 535 (grades 9 – 10)
- Registrar James Woollard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 537
- Director of Admissions Christie Hazeltine, email@example.com
Also check out the online directory of faculty and staff.