This page contains information for new students in grades 5 – 8 and their parents.
Please save Wednesday, May 11, at 9:00 a.m. and plan to attend our online welcome and orientation meeting* for new Middle School parents. We will send an invitation to the event closer to the actual date.
Bookmark this page so you can follow up on all the information provided below.
* Download the free Microsoft Teams app or join in your browser.
Preparing for a New School
Instructions for completing the requirement by uploading your child's immunization records to the health portal will be included with Back-to-School Registration (see below). We cannot accept any forms that have been mailed, emailed, or dropped off.
The Bear Creek School is required by State law to ensure all students are compliant with current immunization requirements (preschool or K – 12) or have an appropriate exemption. On or before the first day of attendance, all new students and all returning kindergarten and grade 7 students must upload medically-verified immunization records to the health portal by the summer deadline. Children cannot attend school until these records are provided. (Instructions for submitting immunization records are include with Back-to-School Registration in July).
A medically-verified Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) form is a:
- CIS printed by a health care provider from the Washington State Immunization Information System (IIS). This is medically verified by the Immunization Information System.
- CIS printed from MyIR which is a free Department of Health online tool that allows families to view and print their official immunization records themselves. This is medically verified by the Immunization Information System. You can access your child’s immunization record at any time by signing up for MyIR at wa.MyIR.net.
- CIS completed by hand.
- Must be verified with a health care provider signature
- Must have medical vaccination records attached so it can be verified for accuracy by school staff
- Must be verified with a health care provider signature
If your child is on a delayed schedule, also have your child's health care provider complete and sign the Certificate of Exemption. See Health Services for more information or contact Lea Hysom, school nurse, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about your child's immunization records.
Note: The COVID-19 vaccination is not required for students to attend school. However, if you wish your child to be exempt from quarantine that might be necessary during the school year due to exposure to COVID-19, please complete the optional COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card requirement (grades 6 – 12) by uploading your child's completed COVID-19 vaccine card or medically-verified CIS containing the COVID-19 vaccine dose dates.
The Bear Creek School is committed to placing each student in the “best fit” class for math instruction. Math placement consideration for next year will be based on your child’s current math level—for most students, this means they will advance in math one year.
- We ask all parents of new students in grades 5 and 6 to complete the Math Placement Information form by June 10 so we know which students to assess (if you have multiple children enrolled, please complete separate forms).
- If you believe your child in grades 7 and 8 may place higher in this progression (see Course Catalog), please contact Middle School Division Assistant Suzanne Grant at 425-898-1720 ext. 215 or email@example.com to discuss possible options.
Summer Assignments and Review
After math placement is determined, check out the Summer Assignments and Review page for summer assignments, enrichment activities, and ideas. Also, check out the blog post from Division Head Jenn McDonough on 9 Ways to Prepare for Success in Middle School as a New Student.
Elective Course Preferences
Students in grades 7 and 8 are not enrolled in elective courses until the New Student Course Preferences form has been received. Since some classes fill up quickly, please take the following steps as soon as possible:
- Review the Middle School Course Catalog (the 2022 – 2023 version will be published by March 1) with your child.
- Complete the New Student Course Preferences form online. Also see Math Placement above.
If you have questions regarding courses, please contact James Woollard, Registrar, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All students in grade 5 will play an instrument in the band. Together with your child, please review these Beginning Band resources to help him or her choose an instrument. Also, please complete the embedded interest form which will assist us in preparing for the new school year.
Information about uniform guidelines, dress days, and online ordering can be found on the School Uniforms page.
Bear Creek provides most materials for our students; however, there are some school supplies that parents must purchase for their children.
Your child's Back-to-School Registration opens in July and is due by August 4 and must be complete before your child may attend school. Look for email in mid-July announcing that it is ready for your attention.
Students in grades 6 – 8 are eligible to participate in Middle School fall sports which include boys and girls cross country, boys soccer, girls soccer, and girls volleyball. Sports registration opens in July and is due by August 4. In the meantime, please schedule your child's sports physical as early as feasible and submit the signed forms online during Back-to-School Registration.
Academic Teams and Clubs
Bear Creek usually offers math and forensics (speech and debate) opportunities to students in grades 7 and 8. Stay tuned for registration information.
Drop-off and Pick-up
Review our campus maps to familiarize yourself with the morning and afternoon routines (subject to change).
Mark Your Calendar
At the top of every webpage, you'll see the link to the School Calendar which can be filtered according to your child's division (or check out the special Middle School Calendar). Parents may subscribe to the various sub-calendar feeds and/or subscribe to email/text alerts for specific events or calendars.
Inside Bear Creek
As part of your orientation to Bear Creek, please plan to join Patrick Carruth, President and Headmaster, and Debbie Marchione, Vice President of Philanthropy and Community Engagement, at Inside Bear Creek in the fall. This gathering will provide you with important practical information about how to get involved in the Bear Creek community as a parent, an understanding of how the school functions beyond the classrooms, and an opportunity to connect with other new families. Look for an email in early September with more details.
Preschool (P3 – P5)
- Division Head Rachael Urban, email@example.com, 425-885-9401 ext. 402
- Division Assistant Minette Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lower School (grades K – 4)
- Division Head Kristen Gephart, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 115
- Dean of Students Tressa Parker, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 122
- Division Assistant Cady Reimer, email@example.com. 425-898-1720 ext. 116
Early Middle School (grades 5 – 6)
Middle School (grades 7 – 8)
- Division Head Jenn McDonough, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 229
- Dean of Students Nathan Pettit, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 209
- Division Assistant Carol Willard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 215
Upper School (grades 9 – 12)
- Division Head Carol Miller, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 539
- Dean of Students Kevin Davison, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 735
- Division Assistant Debbie Stump, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 532
Tuition and Fees
- Business Operations Manager Kathleen Lewis, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 302
Giving or Volunteering
- Vice President for Philanthropy and Community Engagement Debbie Marchione, email@example.com, 425-898-1720, ext. 338
- Health Services Manager and School Nurse Lea Hysom, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 399
- Communications Manager Sini Fernandez, email@example.com
- Athletics Director Chad Pohlman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 431 (grades 9 – 12 sports)
- Middle School Athletics Director Ryan Byram, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 430 (grades 6 – 8 sports)
College and Academic Advising
- Dean of College and Academic Advising Colleen Murray, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720, ext. 533 (grades 11 – 12)
- Dean of Academic Advising Emily Schuldt, email@example.com, 425-898-1720 ext. 535 (grades 9 – 10)
- Registrar James Woollard, firstname.lastname@example.org, 425-898-1720 ext. 537
- Director of Admissions Christie Hazeltine, email@example.com
Also check out the online directory of faculty and staff.