Battle of the Books
March 18, 2022
Are you ready for a battle? In the winter, students in grades 4 – 6* may begin reading books on the book list in preparation for Battle Day. If you want to join a team, talk to any one of the library staff.
All the books on the 2022 book list are available for check out in the libraries. Participants should read as many of the books on the list as possible. Participants will receive a bookmark to use to keep track of the books they have read.
The book list is available via the Bear Creek Libraries Catalog Resource Lists (open the Bear Creek Library Catalog and then find "Battle of the Books 2021-2022" on the Resource Lists tab). When viewing the books via the resource list, one can tell whether or not a book is available to check out.
* Students in grades 7 – 8 may participate in Battle of the Books during JanTerm 2022. The book list is different than the list for younger students, and the competition will occur during the school day in the second week of January. Watch the video to learn more.
Preparing for Battle of the Books
How to Sign Up and Participate
- Students return the signed permission form and submit AR reports showing 70% accuracy or higher on three (3) Battle Books by January 31. Be sure to review the Parent Information Letter for additional details.
- Participating students must read and submit AR scores for a minimum of three (3) additional Battle Books by March 10.
As you read books from the book list, you may (optionally) make a list of questions about each book. E.g. "In which book does a dog protect a wounded cat?" Questions should be composed without any proper nouns. These can be used for quizzing yourself and other students in preparation for the competition in the spring. Be sure you know the authors and titles of all the books on the book list.
Beginning in January, grades 4 – 6 students will be invited to bring their lunches to the library and join in the fun of discussing the battle books, quizzing one another, and getting to know everyone who is planning to participate in Battle of the Books.
- Grade 4 will practice on Tuesdays during lunch in the Ida Lairson Library: January 25, February 1, 8, and 15, and March 1 and 8
- Grades 5 and 6 will practice on Thursdays during lunch in the Kindel Library: January 27, February 2, 10, and 17, and March 3 and 10
This year teams will conduct an in-person battle on Friday, March 18. In the morning, students will meet to review the online rules, design team posters, and receive their first challenge. In the afternoon, the teams will compete by completing multiple rounds of quizzing conducted by a library staff member. The winning team will be announced at the end of the day.
About Battle of the Books
Battle of the Books (www.battleofthebooks.org) is a team-based reading incentive program that strives to nourish the hearts and minds of children with excellent literature. The program is introduced to Bear Creek's grade 4 – 6 classes in the fall and interested students should read from Bear Creek's designated book list which is a subset of the book list found at the official Battle of the Books site.
Mission of Battle of the Books
We are a values-based organization whose purpose is to nourish the hearts and minds of children with excellent literature. We believe children are a gift from God and should be encouraged and given the opportunity to develop their potential through the discovery of reading.
Our aim is to support students in their love and discovery for reading by introducing them to quality literature, to offer books that build upon historical values and the dignity of life, and to develop friendships between students based upon socialization, competition, and mutual respect.
If you have questions, please contact Dr. Katy Steinkraus (email@example.com).