January 6-16, 2014
Bear Creek's JanTerm program is a two week mini-semester during which all Middle School and Upper School students choose to enroll in four topical seminars taught by Bear Creek faculty and administrators. Nearly 75 classes will be offered this year.
JanTerm 2014 Catalog At-a-Glance - Available courses including instructors, eligible grades, and prerequisites
JanTerm 2014 Course Catalog - Courses listed with full descriptions including instructors, eligible grades, and prerequisites
During JanTerm Middle School and Upper School students engage in four seminar blocks according to the following schedule. No late start on Wednesdays during JanTerm.
|Block 1||8:10 AM - 9:30 AM|
|Block 2||9:40 AM - 11:00 AM|
|Block 3||11:10 AM - 12:30 PM|
|US Lunch/MS Activity Period||12:30 PM - 1:00 PM|
|MS Lunch/US Activity Period||1:00 PM - 1:30 PM|
|Block 4||1:35 PM - 2:55 PM|
The overarching goals of JanTerm are to enhance depth and dialogue. Depth is a topical distinction; JanTerm allows Bear Creek to invest in courses that may not fit into the traditional academic year, but are perfect for shorter, intensive study. All told, students will be able to choose from nearly 75 courses this year that would otherwise not be offered in the standard curriculum. Dialogue, on the other hand, is a stylistic distinction. JanTerm courses will emphasize the Socratic method of learning, with reflection and discussion as major visible learning tools. Students and teachers will approach their topic together; teachers will guide student learning, but will also be able to step back and let students lead portions of the course.
JanTerm course develoment occurs during the spring and summer for the following year. Course offerings are posted during the autumn, and registration occurs in November.
If you have further questions, contact Director of Academic Support Programs James Woollard (email@example.com).
In October students select course preferences via Class A Signup
- Students will log in using the same username and password they use to access the school website and class pages. Credentials were uploaded to Class A on October 17. If you have changed your password, and do not remember your old one, please contact Mr. Woollard (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mrs. Tasche (email@example.com) who have the October 17 passwords on file.
- Let us know your JanTerm course preferences by selecting your top four class choices and ranking six alternate course choices.
- Upper School Advanced Placement, performing arts, and yearbook classes will continue to meet throughout JanTerm. Students in those classes will see these choices already blocked out when they sign in.
Several factors will be considered when determining JanTerm course enrollment, includng:
- time of registration,
- other JanTerm course selections,
- past JanTerm course enrollment, and
- prerequisite preparation.