School News Archives
Select a keyword, catagory, or date to limit your search (e.g. select "Academics News" from the dropdown category menu or choose "All" to see all archived news events). By default the date is set to the current month and year.
Competing over two weekends, Bear Creek's forensics team placed second overall at the National Speech & Debate Association (NSDA) Puget Sound District Championship Tournament and qualified a record 13 team members for the National Speech & Debate Tournament which will be held June 18-23 in Birmingham, AL. The team also won the Puget Sound District Sweepstakes Award in speech events.
The NSDA's National Qualifying Tournament for Congress was held on February 27 at the State Capitol in Olympia, the only national qualifying tournament in the country held in a statehouse. On March 2-4, the team competed in speech and debate events at the NSDA's National Qualifying Tournament at Snohomish HS.
- Adesuwa Agbonile, senior - Original Oratory
- Taylor Unoki, junior - Informative Speaking
- Richard Zhang, junior - Program Oral Interpretation
- Hannah Hostetter, sophomore - Program Oral Interpretation
- Yasmin Wahdwani, sophomore, and Maria Bakmetyeva, freshman - Duo Interpretation
- Lauren Shen, freshman - Humorous Interpretation
- Sean Gallagher, senior, and Justin Li, senior - Public Forum Debate
- Alex Finan, sophomore, and JJ Finan, junior - Public Forum Debate
- Victor Gill, junior, and Alicia Stepin, sophomore - World Schools Debate
National Qualifiers and Alternates
- Duo Interpretation: Yasmin Wadhwani/Maria Bakhmetyeva*
- Original Oratory, Adesuwa Agbonile*, Richard Zhang 2nd alternate
- International Extemporaneous Speaking: Sean Gallagher*
- Informative Speaking: Maria Bakhmetyeva*, Yasmin Wadhwani 1st alternate, Taylor Unoki 2nd alternate
- Program Oral Interpretation Richard Zhang*, Hannah Hostetter, Alex Finan 2nd alternate
- Humorous Interpretation: Lauren Shen 1st alternate, Victor Gill 2nd alternate
- Congressional Debate: Taylor Unoki* (Senate), Sean Gallagher 2nd alternate (House)
- Public Forum Debate: Sean Gallagher/Justin Li*, Alex Finan/JJ Finan
* District Champion (7 event champions)
Note: Each student may only compete in one event at the NSDA National Tournament. Students qualifying in both individual and paired events (e.g. Duo, PF) must choose those events.